Page - 10  Misc. Town Information


Cemetery's
Dedication's of things around Town
Historical Marker's
Monument's
Names of Area's in our Town
Plaque's


Town of Marshfield Cemetary's
"IN OUR PARENTS TIME"
Researched by: Bob Cheeseman
August 26, 2001
Revised: December 31, 2001

Winslow Cemetery - Off Winslow Cemetery Road

Cedar Grove Cemetery - Off Ocean Street (Both Sides)

Standish Cemetery - Off School Street & Plain Street

Center Cemetery - Off Ferry Street & Grove Street

Couch Cemetery - Union Street (Two Mile) (old)
Couch Cemetery - Off Union Street (new)

Hills Cemetery - Old Main Street

Private Cemetery's

Little's & O'Donnell's Cemetery - Off Summer Street (across from Cedar Acres
Road)

Captain Arthur Howland Cemetery - Off South River Street (by the Fair
Grounds) 

Town of Marshfield Dedication's of things around Town
"IN OUR PARENTS TIME"
Researched by: Bob Cheeseman
August 26, 2001
Revised: December 31, 2001

Korean War Highway - Ocean Street (Route 139, from Route 3A to the Marshfield
/ Pembroke Line)

VFW Esplanade - Ocean Street (From Dyke Road to Island Street)

Highway Barn - Parsonage Street (N.E. Williams - Highway Superintendent)

Hearing Room #3 Town Hall (Joseph R. Linskey - Selectmen) - 870 Moraine
Street

VFW Flag Pole (John T. Reynolds - Veteran) - Off Moraine Street (Tea Rock
Gardens)

Flag Pole Training Field - Ocean Street and Moraine Street
First installed on the Training Field by the Daughters of the American
Revolution, Tea Rock Chapter March 14, 1916

Vietnam War Island - Union Street & Highland Street

Weather Vain on Top of Town Hall - Town Hall 870 Moraine Street
1971 Designed by Anne Philbrick Hall
Peregrine White riding his horse around Marshfield

Libraries 
Seth Ventress - Plaza East off Ocean Street
Cliff Rogers - Prospect Street
James P. Romeo - High School Forest Street
Arlene M. Cantwell - Governor Edward School Regis Road

Schools
Daniel Webster - Evergreen Drive (Off Ocean Street)
Edwin Martinson - Forest Street
Edward Winslow - Regis Road
Grace Ryder - Main Street

Fire Stations
Company 1 - Brant Rock
Company 2 - Hills
Company 3 - Central Station

Parks
Veterans Memorial Park - Ocean Street and Main Street
Wheelers Recreation Park Complex - Off Webster Street
Lt. Robert J. Greene Memorial Park/Playground - Off Webster Street in
Wheelers Park Complex.
Peter Igo Park - Brant Rock Marshall Avenue
Marshfield Maze - High School Forest Street
Tower Avenue Play Ground - Brant Rock Tower Avenue
John F. Nagle Skate Board Park - Marshfield Center
Harbor Park - Brant Rock Town Pier Road
Hills Play Grounds - Hills Fire Station Old Main Street


Benches
Louis Campbell - Town Pier, Town Pier Road
Lt. Robert J. Greene Memorial Playground - Off Webster Street inside Wheelers
Park Complex.
Ventress Library - To the Community from the Friends of Ventress Library


Town of Marshfield Historical Marker's
"IN OUR PARENTS TIME"
Researched by: Bob Cheeseman
August 26, 2001
Revised: December 31, 2001

County Markers:

Marshfield - Ocean Street and Moraine Street
To Plymouth
15 M ---------- >
To Boston
< ---------- 32 M

Marshfield - Summer Street and Prospect Street
To Plymouth
< ---------- 20 M
To Boston
---------- > 27 M


Town Markers:
1907 The Old South School - Parsonage Street and Webster Street
Established August 1645
By Edward Winslow and eleven others,
On this spot The School House stood from 1642 to 1857
As a School it existed 212 years
To commemorate it's long and successful History
This Stone is erected by the Old South School Association
George Martin Baker - President
John Henry Bourne - Vice President
Horatio Baker Spraque - Treasure
Erastus Edward Williamson - Secretary
Also 126 other Members Living
August 1891


(1920)
Winslow House -
Porter Wrights Place -
Phillips House -
Old South School -
Marcia Thomas 's Old Post Office C.1650 -
Littles Bridge -
Union Street Bridge -

(1921)
Historical Society appropriated $ 100 for markers to be placed on:
Winslow House
Porter Wright Place
Phillips House
Old South School site
Marcia Thomas's Old Post Office built in 1650
Little's Bridge
Union Street Bridge

(1928)
Tea Rock Hill - Moraine Street
On this Hill in December 1773 the Staunch Whig Jeremiah Lowe Applied the
Torch and Burned the Tea Confiscated by the Patriots from Public and Private
Stores in the Town of Marshfield
Erected by the Tea Rock Chapter D.A.R.
(August 5,1929)

(1928)
Marshfield - Moraine Street
Home of Edward Winslow 1636-1646
Governor of Plymouth Colony
Home of Daniel Webster 1831-1852
The Historic Winslow House is Open to Visitors in the Summer Months
On August 5, 1929 Tea Rock Charter Daughters of the American Revolution
unveiled a boulder on the land of Mrs. Rosa M. Ames who now owns the hill
marking the burning of the tea, the boulder is on the State Highway on
Moraine Street.
It is of Quincy granite from the quarry that furnished the stone for Bunker
Hill Monument

(1930)
Training Green Field - Ocean Street and Moraine Street 
Old Marshfield Training Field
The Old Training Field and Meeting House of the First Parish
Where Daniel Webster Attended Church

Home of Daniel Webster
Home of Governor Edward Winslow House
Historic Winslow House is Open to Visitors in the Summer Months

(1930)
Marshfield - Webster Street
Residence of Daniel Webster
Winslow Cemetery and Webster Tomb
Site of Meeting House of the First Church
Above Marker Appears also in three places:
Plain Street at the Marshfield/Pembroke Line
Moraine Street at the Marshfield/Duxbury Line
Main Street at the Marshfield/Scituate Line


1971 Ford Mill (War Memorial) - Main Street
Site of First Grist Mill in Marshfield, Built by William Ford prior to 1657
Dunhams Saw Mill
1814 - 1835 Duxbury and South River Manufacturing Company

1971 Standish - Plain Street and School Street
Part of a 300 Acre tract of upland with the Meadows there unto belonging
Originally Granted in 1638 to Myles Standish and John Alden by King Charles
of England.

1972 Two Mile - Off Union Street
This strip of land, granted to Scituate in 1640, was two miles in length and
one mile in width, if it be there to be had. Annexed to Marshfield in 1788

1973 East Marshfield - Hills Cemetery Old Main Street
Settled C 1650
Chapel of Ease
Second Congregation Society of Marshfield
Est. 1738
Early District School near Old Main Street and Highland Street
First Town High Scholl 1688-1895

1973 Littletown - Summer Street
Settled 1650 by Thomas Little and Anne Warren
Dall Pilgrim Richard Warren
Generations of Little Family lived here
Early District School
C 1715

1974 Town Hall  - Main Street
1838
1889 Sold to Judson Ewell and Seth Dame for $ 114
Hearse House
1889 Sold to James Rogers for $ 950
Alms House stood across the Street

1974 Early Canal - Canal Street
>From Green's Harbor River to Duxbury Bay
1636 Ordered that the Cutt at Green's Harbor for a boat passage shall be made
eighteen foote wide and sixe foote deep

1974 Site of White's Ferry - Sea Street and Ferry Street
1705 to 1839   
Over 40 Vessels were built of 21 to 395 Tons
Erected by the North River Historical Association

1975 First Church of Marshfield and Bourne Store - Ocean Street and Moraine
Street
Gathered 1632
1641 First Building at Winslow Cemetery
1706 First Location on this site
1838 Present Church Built
Here the Tory Resolves of the Town of Marshfield were presented January 31,
1776
Old Ordinary
C. 1709
An early Store, Inn, and Stage Coach Stop.
December 19, 1773 British Tea stored here was seized by the Patriots and
burned on Tea Rock Hill

1976 John Bourne House - Ocean Street
Birthplace of Revolutionary Patriot
John Bourne
1759-1859
Soldier in Continental Army 1775-1781
At age 16 fought at Bunker Hill with Washington at Valley Forge, one of eight
survivors at Bunker Hill Monument Dedication
1843

1976 Col. Anthony Thomas House  - 497 Parsonage Street & Moraine Street
 "Home of Revolutionary Patriot Anthony Thomas 1719-1788 Commissioned Colonel
August 31, 1755 Representative at Boston 1766-1772 Here Patriot Troops
Assembled to attack British Forces Stationed at the Home of Tory Nathaniel
Ray Thomas April 20, 1775"

1976 Nathaniel Ray Thomas Estate -

1977 The Dike - Dyke Road
Built 1872
Widened between Green Harbor and Brant Rock
Originally a toll road cause of feud between Diker's (Farmers) and Anti
Diker's (Fishermen)


1977 Winslow House (Original Site) - Perryn Way
See New Monument in 1999

1977 Cherry Hill - Off Webster Street (Wheeler's Park)
Site of Webster's last speech, July 24, 1852

1978 Roger's Store -Old Main Street
General Store and Inn
Luther Rogers, Proprietor 1823 - 1848
Store and House raised August 9, 1823
Builder, Christopher Oakman
Timbers Cut at Hatch's Mill, Two Mile

1978 Union Bridge - Union Street
Bisbee's Ferry 1644
Later Oakman's Ferry
Toll Bridge 1801
Free Bridge 1850
Rebuilt - 1865, 1900, 1917, after Destruction by Ice 1972

1978 Kenelm Winslow House - 123 Winslow Street
C1645
Born Droitwich, England 1599
Received 100 acre Grant - March 5, 1637
Brother of Pilgrim Edward Winslow
Representative to General Court for 8 years
Died Salem 1672
 
1979 Zion's Hill - Ferry Street
Formerly called Tolmans Hill
Site of Methodist Church, 175 feet east
Built about 1825
Second Building 1857
Razed 1938
Ferry Street old way to White's Ferry

1979 Brant Rock Village and Brant Rock Union Chapel - Ocean Street
Brant Rock Village - Named for Brant Geese, Two Island early called Governors
Island, later Hewitts Island and Branchs Island, together Spectagle Island.
Land owners John Bradford, Christopher Winter, John Hewitt, and John Branch.
Site of resorts Hotels Pioner Cottages, 1861 Churchhill, 1866 Brant Tock
House, 1884 Ocean House, 1875 Fairview, 1897 Peace Haven.


Brant Rock Union Chapel - Ocean Street and Dyke Road
Built C. 1895 by Luther White, Stonework by Foster Ewell
Sheltered victims 1898 Storm
Early Mass Humane Society Shelters or Charity House, stood along the beach
1893 Life Saving Station built easterly of this site.
1915 Became U.S. Coast Guard Station, Closed 1947, Razed 1967


1980 Ventress Memorial Building - South River Street
1885 Seth J. Ventress, left $ 10, 000 for a Public Library Building
1895 Built by Luther White
1895 - 1933 Library
1895 - 1923 High School
1885 - 1970 Town Hall
1970- School Administration Offices

1980 Centre Marshfield - Ferry Street and Grove Street
Early Families, White, Stevens, Lewis.
Here stood Episcopal Church, erected 1745, Church Building removed to
Marshfield Hills 1826
1870 - 1939 Rail Road Station, mile West

1980 Great Fire - Ocean Street and Foster Avenue
April 21, 1941
Fire started near junction of Plymouth Avenue and Ocean Street
Fieldston
Burned to Samoset Avenue
Ocean Bluff, Destroyed, 446 Houses. 96 Garages, 12 Stores, 2 Hotels, Casino,
Post Office, and a Church.

1984 Green Harbor Village (William Green and Grace Chapel - Marginal Street
Named, for William Green
Who had a fishing station here C. 1623
Early Named for Marshfield until 1640
Near this site of Grace Chapel (Unitarian)
C.1881  - 1960
In 1898 there were 86 Houses and 2 Hotels

1985 Hewitt's Point (Shipwrecks) - Ocean Street
1683 Site of Sheep Farm of Christopher Winter, which he willed to his
daughter, Marha Hewitt.
Ship Wreck's
1787 Brig. Minerva
1852 Brig. Marchus
1888 Agnas R. Beacon
1898 Mertis H. Perry

1986 Site of Marshfield Rail Road Station - Plaza East
1867 Duxbury & Cohasset Rail Road Chartered
1868 Rail Road Extended to Marshfield
Marshfield pays 1/3 cost.
1871 First Train to Marshfield
1878 Became the New Haven and Hartford Rail Road Stations:
Marshfield Hills
Center Marshfield
Green Harbor
Seasonal stops Marshfield Fair Grounds
1882 Daniel Webster Centennial Celebration,
U.S. President Chester Arthur arrived here in Presidential Car Boarder City,
10:05 AM Oct. 12, Greeted by 21 cannon salute.
Horse drawn Barges ran from this station to Brant Rock Hotels.
1939 Last Train
1940 Rail Road Tracks Removed

1986 Daniel Webster, Defender of the Constitution - Town Hall 870 Moraine
Street
Defender of the Constitution
"It is Sir, The People's Constitution, The People's Government made for the
People. Made by the People and answerable to the People"
" Liberty and Union now and forever one and inseparable "
Reply to Senator Robert Hayne
Jan. 26-27 1830
200 Th. Anniversary of the U.S. Constitution 1787 - 1987
Marshfield Historical Commission 

1989 Site of East Marshfield (Hills) Rail Road Station - Damon's Point Road
1871 Duxbury, Cohasset Rail Road
Extended to Marshfield
1878 Old Colony Rail Road Co.
1893 New York, New Haven & Hartford Rail Road
1939 Last train
Water for Steam Engines piped from Wales Pond

1989 Green Harbor Railroad Station - Across from 987 Careswell Street
Webster Place Depot
1871 Duxbury & Cohasset R.R. Extended to Marshfield
1878 Became Old Colony R.R
1893 New York, New Haven & Hartford R.R.
1939 Last Train


1990 Joyce School - Forest Street and School Street
Site of Joyce School
Built Prior to 1838
One Room District Primary and Grammar School
Name for the Joyce Family who settled nearby
1886 School Closed
Building moved to Hummy Lane (Off Main Street)

1990 Brant Rock School - Dyke Road
1893 One room District Primary School
1929 School Closed Building
Later used by the Police Department and Water Department
Now leased to the DAV, Chapter 35

1990 North School - Old Main Street
1838 Two Room District Primary and Grammar School
1885 - 1895 First Town High School, held here
1951 School Closed
1954 Remodeled into Fire Station #2

1990 Sea View Railroad Station - Station Street
1871 - 1939
Largest station on the shoreline from Boston to Plymouth

1994 Pilgrim Trail (Green's Harbor Path) - Careswell Street (Route 139)

Near this spot ran the Trail used by the First Settlers in Traveling between
Marshfield and Plymouth.

1994 Pilgrim Trail (Green's Harbor Path) - Ocean Street (Route 139. near
Bourne House)

Near this spot ran the Trail used by the First Settlers in Traveling between
Marshfield and Plymouth.

1994 Pilgrim Trail (Green's Harbor Path) - Pilgrim Trail
Ordered by Plymouth Colony Court May 10, 1637
Formerly an Ancient Indian Trail
Motor Vehicles Prohibited

1994 Aunt Lizzie - Aunt Lizzie's Lane and Appleton Waye
The Preservation of Green's Harbor Path was made possible through effort of
Elizabeth Paulding Eames (Aunt Lizzie) 1847 - 1933
And the Marshfield Historical Commission
Respect this Ancient Path across private property.

1994 Pilgrim Trail - Aunt Lizzie's Lane and Appleton Waye
Green's Harbor Path
Ordered by Plymouth Colony Court May 10, 1637
Formerly and Ancient Indian Trail
Motor Vehicles Prohibited

1994 Pilgrim Trail - Appleton Waye (2 Markers)
Green's Harbor Path
Ordered by Plymouth Colony Court May 10, 1637
Formerly and Ancient Indian Trail
Motor Vehicles Prohibited

1995 Edward Winslow (Winslow Cemetery) - Winslow Cemetery Road
Founder of Marshfield
Edward Winslow, son of Edward Winslow and Magdalene Ollyver, born Droitivich
England 18 Oct. 1595
1617 Joined Dissident England Separatists in Leyden, Holland
Winslow came with Pilgrims on Mayflower 1620 Settled at Plymouth
Married second wife, Susanna White, 12 May 1621, she died 1680
Son Josiah Winslow, later Governor of Plymouth Colony, was born 1528
Daughter Elizabeth, born 1630's
Edward Winslow served Plymouth Colony as assistant Governor and Governor
1633, 1636, 1644
Removed to Marshfield 1636, gathered the First Church and Founded the Town in
1640.
1646 Last trip to England, never returned to Marshfield
Died 8 May 1655, while serving as Commissioner for Oliver Cromwell in
campaign to seize Spanish West Indies.
Buried at Sea near Hispaniola

1997 Site of First Church - Winslow Cemetery Road
1641 - 1657
Early Town Meeting and School Sessions held here.
Uninscribed Field Stones mark Oldest Graves

1998 Old Winslow Site (Given by Dr. McLaughlin's Wife Toni) - off Careswell
Street

1998 Webster's Law Library - Off The Arborway
Here stood Daniel Webster Law Library
Where he kept his Agricultural Library 1832 1852
Moved to grounds of Isaac Winslow House 1969
(Webster Street and Careswell Street)


1999 Winslow House (Original Site) - Perryn Way
This 1+ Acre of Edward Winslow Grant acquired in 1949 by
Capt. James A. McLaughlin MD U.S.N. 1915 - 1995
Active in Town History, Ecology, and Politics given in his memory by his wife
"Toni"

Town of Marshfield Monument's
"IN OUR PARENTS TIME"
Researched by: Bob Cheeseman
August 26, 2001
Revised: December 31, 2001

Police Department Monument - Ocean Street (Cedar Grove Cemetery)
Erected in Memory of Deceased Members of the Marshfield Police Department
Dedicated June 2, 1957

Fire Department Monument - Ocean Street (Cedar Grove Cemetery)
Erected in Memory of Deceased Members of the Marshfield Fire Department
Dedicated June 18, 1961

Fire Department Monument - South River Street (By Flagg Pole) In Memory of
Arthur "Beanie" Colamore 1927-1962

Korean War Monument - Snow Road at Town Hall
Front: 1950 Korea 1953
The Forgotten War
Cpl. Alfred Lopes Jr. U.S. Army Lt. Ronald R. Ferris U.S. Army
Missing in Action           Killed in Action
Feb. 13, 1951               May 15, 1953
In remembrance of those who did not returned and in recognition of those who
served
Back: Korea
25 June 1950    27 July 1953
Died 54,246 Wounded 103,284
MIA 8,177   POW 7,000
Erected by the Lopes/Ferris Chapter Korean War Veterans
(July-1990)

Veteran's Memorial Park Monument - Ocean Street (Route 139) & Main Street
(Route 3A), also Veteran's Brick Program of Veteran Names.

Joseph H. Sawyer Monument - Plain Street (Plain Street (Route 139) & Furnace
Street)
Wording on Monument:
"In Memoriam
A Distinguished American
Commander Joseph H. Sawyer U.S.N.R.
WW-II
Captured January 1942 Cavite Naval Base
Liberated February 1945 Bilibid Prison Camp
Philippines
"A Victim of Untold Hardships and Brutalities above and beyond the call of
Duty"
1902 - 1959

D.A.V. Monument - Captain Lutcher Little's Way
D.A.V. Monument - Dyke Road
Chapter 35
Disabled American Veterans
In Honor of those who gave their lives - and to those who became disabled in
the Service of their Country
(1981)


Civil War Monument - Old Main Street in the Hills Cemetery
The Town of Marshfield, Honors the Patriotism and Devotion of her sons who
fell in the War of 1861 - 1865, and Gratefully Inscribes their Names on this
Stone.
Edmund Crossley
Job L Ewell
David Church
Samuel H. Ewell
Nathan Sherman
Joseph Joyce
Joseph M. Sampson
Charles H. Corbett
William C. Oakman Jr.
Fletcher Webster
Robert Ames
Turner Ewell
James W. Fish
Andrew W. Hatch
Freeman A. Ransdell
Wilbur F. Harrington
Joseph Stoddard
Lucius Carver
Edwin Curtis
James A. Wright
Stephan N. Gardner
Josiah Thomas
Lucius L. Bonney
Joseph E. Williamson
George L. Lapham
Edwin R. Merry
Hiram Butterfield

Bell - Old Main Street
Hung in the Bell fray of the Second Church of Marshfield 1738 - 1977
(1998)




WW-II Monument - 870 Moraine Street in Front of Town Hall
Approved to be built.

Coast Guard Monument - 900 Ferry Street
Approved to be built in 2002.

Marshfield High School Complex - (Plain Street (Route 139) & Furnace Street)
1888 - 1988 A gift of the Marshfield High School Class of 1988

Stepping Stone Monument - Ocean Street and Moraine Street Training Green
1657 - 1920

American Revolutionary Monument - Ocean Street and Moraine Street Training
Green
This Tablet is erected by John Adams Chapter, Daughters of the American
Revolution in Patriotic Remembrance of Daniel Webster 1782-1852, a peerless
Constitution Lawyer, a Patriotic American Citizen, I pray to know who is to
put beneath my feet a freer soil then that upon which I have stood ever since
I have been in Public Life, 1913

Veterans Flag Monuments - These are found in the following Cemetery's
Winslow Cemetery - Off Winslow Cemetery Road
Cedar Grove Cemetery - Off Ocean Street
Center Cemetery - Off Ferry and Grove Street
Couch Cemetery (New) - Off Union Street
Hills Cemetery - Off Old Main Street
Wording on the Monument's
"Dedicated in Memory of Men and Women of Marshfield who served in Defense of
our Country

The Home of Daniel Webster - Webster Street and Winslow Cemetery Road
>From April 23, 1832 until his Death October 24, 1852
Lawyer Statesman Orator
His grave is in the Ancient Cemetery at the northerly side of the estate.
To commemorate these places events the Boston University Law School
Association erects the Tablet
June 20, 1914

Thomas / Webster Estate - The Arborway, Off Webster Street
1640 The Thomas Family 1832
1832 Daniel Webster 1852

Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States
Department of the Interior (1993)


Winslow House - Careswell Street (Route 139) and Webster Street
This Boulder marks the house of Governor Edward Winslow
Born in England 1595 Died at sea 1655

This estate was granted to him in 1636 and he gave it the Name of Careswell.

The first house was built by him in 1636 and stood S 34 degrees E [True 865
feet from this boulder.

His son Governor Josiah Winslow, the first Native Born Governor, afterwards
occupied it.

The house now standing in 1915 S 59 Degrees W [True] 51 feet was built by his
grandson Mr. Isaac Winslow in 1699




Town of Marshfield Names of Area's in our Town
"IN OUR PARENTS TIME"
Researched by: Bob Cheeseman
September 2, 2001
Revised: December 31, 2001



Blueberry Hill Estates - off Main Street
Brant Rock Chapel - Ocean Street & Dyke Road
C.W. McLaughlin Store & post office - Marginal Street Green Harbor
Cut River Estates - off Canal Street
Edward Winslow House - Careswell Street Green Harbor
Fairbanks Park - Ocean Street Brant Rock
First Congregational Church - Ocean Street
Grace Chapel & Parsonage - Marginal Street Green Harbor
Green Harbor General Store & post office - Marginal Street Green Harbor
Life Saving Station - Ocean Street & Dyke Road Brant Rock
Marshfield Estates, Section A - off South River Street (Telegraph Hill)
Marshfield Estates, Section 1 - off South River Street (Kent Park)
Marshfield Estates, Section 2 - off Ferry Street (Silver Pines)
Marshfield Estates, Section 3 - off south River Street (Peregrine White' s
Farm)
National Electric Signaling Co. Wireless Station - Blue Fish Cove Brant Rock
Oak Ridge Estates - off Forest Street
Peregrine White's House - off South River Street
Prelude Estates - off Plain Street
Saint Ann's Church - Ocean Street Ocean Bluff
South Marshfield - Center of Town today
South Shore Hospital - Summer Street East Marshfield
State Highway Route 139 (Plain, Ocean & Careswell Streets)
State Highway Route 3A (Main Street)
Sunny Side Park - off Plain Street
The Summer Bungalow Colony - off South River Street (Kent Park)
Thomas / Webster House - off Webster Street
Whitman & Wrights Store - Ocean Street Ocean Bluff
Willow Tea House - Willow Street
Woodland Hills Estates - off forest Street




Town of Marshfield Plaque's
"IN OUR PAREENTS TIME"
Researched by: Bob Cheeseman
August 26, 2001
Revised: December 31, 2001

First Meeting House - Winslow Cemetery Road
Erected about 1641
A small building with a thatched roof, stood a little North of this
enclosure, it was sold when a new Church was built near the site of the
present First Congregational Church.
Here are to be found the earliest graves of the Town, including that of
Governor Josiah Winslow.
(1968)

WW-I Plaque- Main Street, around the Flag Pole at the VFW Post
WW - I  VETERAN'S
TOWN OF MARSHFIELD, MA 02050

 
BACKUS, FOSTER T.      
BACKUS, VICTOR T.      
BAKER, FRANCIS C.      
BAKER, ROBERT L.
BAKER, RUSSELL D.
BARTLETT, CARL
BARTLETT, EDWARD       
BENCORDO, JOHN L.      
BONNEY, WILLIAM F.     
CORBERT, HOWARD E.
CREED, HAROLD S.
CROSBY, GOULD M.       
DAMON, E. WINSOR
DAMON, FRANK W.        
DAMON, GRANVILLE V.        
DAMON, HOWARD B.       
DAMON, LAWRENCE W.     
DELANO, ELLIS R.       
DURLING, CHARLES B     
EAMES, CHARLES E.      
EWELL, E. GILBERT
EWELL, ELBRIDGE W.     
EWELL, EZRA G.         
EWELL, LAWRENCE W.     
FEINBERG, ABRAHAM S.       
FEINBERG, BERNARD      
FEIMBERG, MORITZ       
FISH, BURTON D         
FLAVELL, JOHN W.       
GARDNER, GEORGE H.     
GATES, JAMES E.        
HAGAR, DONALD C.       
HAGAR, JOSEPH A.       
HALL, ELISHA W.
HALL, LINCOLN          
HALL, MAURICE A.       
HALL, WINTHROP         
HARLOW, FRANK E.
HEALY, FRANK T.        
HOBBS, ROBERT L.       
HOWLAND, EARL W.
KENT, WARREN P.            
KNIGHTS, CLARENCE A        
KNIGHTS, MERRILL H.        
KNIGHTS, WILLARD       
LANE, GUSTAVUS S.      
LANGILLE, CHARLES C.       
LEONARD, ARTHUR C.     
LIBBY, FREDERICK       
MACURDA, PAUL G.       
MAGOUN, ALLEN R.       
MCLAREY, DANIEL        
MORGAN, HOBERT M.      
MORTON, WILLIAM A.     
MOUNCE, HARRY L.       
MOUNCE, LAWRENCE       
NEWDICK, RALPH W.      
NEWTON, EDWARD W.
OAKMAN, ISREAL H.      
O'DONALD, GERALD W.        
PECK, JAMES A.
PECK, JOSEPH W.        
PECK, ROBERT E.        
PETERSON, ROY A.       
PETERSON, THORWALD     
PRATT, EARNEST J.      
PRATT, FRED J.         
PRATT, FREDERICK S.        
SAMPSON, EDWIN F.      
SCHATZ, AUGUST     
SIMMONS, BENJAMIN F.       
SIOMMONS, CHARLES W.
SIMMONS, JOSEPH B.     
SINNOTT, LAWRENCE M.
SINNOTT, MERLE         
SINNOTT, RICHARD C.        
SLAUNWHITE, OSBORN S.  
SMALL, BYRON           
SMITH, DANIEL J.
SMITH, LOCKHART J.     
SMITH, RICHARD G.      
SPANG JR., JOSEPH P.
TAYLOR, ALTON C.       
TILLSON, HAROLD A.     
WENTWORTH, HOWARD T.   
WHITE, ALONZO B.       
WHITE, CARL F.         
WILSON, FRED O.        
WITHERELL, FRANK L. 
       

Korean War Plaque (Lopes / Ferris)  - Forest Street in the High School

Korean and Vietnam Veterans Plaque - Off Webster Street in Wheelers Park
Complex
We dedicate these Fields to the Men of the Korean and Vietnam Conflict who
served and died in the service of their Country
May  - 1972

Citizen of the Year Plaque - 870 Moraine Street in the Town Hall

Persian Gulf War Plaque - 870 Moraine Street in the Town Hall

Deputy Chief Clifford L. Hunt Memorial Plaque - Fire Station 60 South River
Street (1973)

Richard W. Patch Memorial Plaque - Fire Station 60 South River Street

John J. Cheesman Jr. Plaque - Governor Edward Winslow School Regis Road

Balloon Plaque - Town Hall
1978 Ben Abruzzo and Maxie Anderson (Balloonist) took off from Wheelers Sand
Pit on Main Street to cross the Atlantic Ocean.


1970
Marshfield Town Hall - 870 Moraine Street
Board of Selectmen: Russell W. Chandler, Joseph R. Linskey, Edward L. Reese.
Building Committee: Robert C. Sheldon, Chair., George E. Williams Jr., Co.
Chair. William M. Gilbert Jr., James L. Davis, William McConnell, Freeman
Damon.
Architects: Architects II Marshfield, Mass.
Contractor: Magnanti Construction Co. Inc. Weston, Ma.
The Land for Town Hall was donated to the Town of Marshfield, by Curtlo
Reality Trust.
Trustees: Thomas E. Curtis, Richard D. Curtis, David J. Curtis

Peregrine White Weather Vane - 870 Moraine Street
The Unusual Weather Vane which adorns our Town Hall was Designed By Anne
Philbrick Hall.
Uniquely appropriate for Pilgrim Marshfield, it represents Peregrine White
astride his horse, on a southeast wind this native- born settler rides, as
the old, to visit his Mother at the Winslow House, while a northerly wind
carries him back to his home by the South River
Marshfield Historical Commission
(1971)

Plymouth County Madd (2) Plaques - Police Station Ocean Street
Honors
Officer Of The Year
Town of Marshfield
Police Department

1989 Robert W. Foulsham
1990 George P. Davis
1991 Robert P. Quigley Jr
1992 Robert P. Quigley Jr
1993 Donna M. Corbett
1994 None
1995 Steven Marcolini
1996 Phillip Tavares
1997 Michael Dimeo
1998 John Callahan
1999 Jason Abell
2000 Michael McDonough
2001 Paul Taber

Mothers against Drunk Driving



Ventress Library Building Committee - Plaza East Off Ocean Street and Webster
Street

Ventress Memorial Library
January 7, 1984
Ventress Memorial Library Building Committee
Richard V. Rapacz, Chairman
Alfred W. Almeida
Judith Burchell
Phillis M. Dane
Jean G. Dobbons
Sheila Gagon
Edward A. Hines, Chairman Construction Subcommittee
Jean W. Horan
George P. Howes
Catherine M. Hunt
Frank M. Hynes
Richard E. Levin
Harold A. MacDoonald
Richard A. Martinez
James F. Mullen, Town Engineer
Conrad D. Nobili
James P. O'Grara
Christine D. Ralton
Kathy Sullivan, Chairman Planning Subcommittee
Ruth M. Sullivan
John W. Tilly
Ventress Memorial Library Board of Trustees
Alfred W, Almeida, Chairman
Sandra G. Courchesne
Jenne W. Horan
John Kaczorowski Jr.
Richard A. Martiez
Jeanne Ryer
Library Director
Dennis R. Corcoran
Board of Selectmen
Richard E. Levin, Chairman
Sheila L. Gagnon
James E. Robinson
Architects
DiNisco, Kretsch, and Associates Inc.
Huygen and DiMella Inc.

Contractor
Eastern Contractors Inc.
Ventress Memorial Library Development Fund - Plaza East Off Ocean Street and
Webster Street

Development Fund
Donald C. Hagar, Honorary Chairman
Katherine Wolff, General Chairman
Steering Committee
Lawrence C. Anastasi
Timothy Buckeridge
Dennis R. Corcoran
David S. Cutler
William W. Drury
Donald C. Hagar
Richard A. Hall
Paul W. Kaufman
Robert J. Kennedy
Burton M. Sack
William W. Drury Pacesetter Gifts, Chairman
Eugene Vercollone Special Gifts, Chairman
Paul W. Kaufman, Business, Professional Gifts, Chairman
Jeanne W. Horan Community Gifts, Chairman

Friends of Ventress Memorial Library
Building Trust
In Grateful Appreciation

Rand-Handy Oil Co. Inc.
Michael, Carol, Jamie and Sarah Halloran
The Horans - Tim, Jeanne, Jen, Tim, Jessica
In Memory of Brian H. Gaughan by the Efward J. Gaughan Family
F. Lee Bailey
The Robert Marzelli Family
Ruth and Daniel Sullivan
The David T. Gregory Family
The James H. Bartley Family
Christian, Ben and Marc Carcio
Mr. And Mrs. Fred Merchant
In Loving Memory of Susan L. Sack - Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence C. Anastasi
The Norwin W. Wolff Family
In Memory of Maurice A. Hall by the Hall Family
The Martinez Family-Richard A. and Rosemary Martinez
The Road House Classic
In Memory of Edward Rowe Snow donated by his Family
The William J. McConnell Family
Biagini, Inc.
In Honor of Allison and Meghan by David and Suzanne McQueeney
In Memory of Denise Constance Donohue by Gregory and Constance Donohue
Heather and Frank Hynes
The Howes Family
Gloria and Arthur Ayre
Massachusetts Cultural Council
Friends of the Vetress Memorial Library
North River Arts Society
Mike Sleeper
Robert Swanson
D'Angelo's Supermartkets, Inc.
Curtlo Reality Trust
In Memory of William Ralton by the V.M.L, Trustees
Edris Kelley
In Memory of William Clark Drury
In Memory of Walton and Edna Hall by Edna Hall Chamberlain
In Memory of John Ford, Edward C. Ford, Mary T. Ford, Weltea Ford Stark
North Community Church
Gift of the Vercollone Family

Friends of the Ventress Memorial Building Trust
Benefactors:
Donald and Edith Hagar
Rockland Trust Co.
John V. Smoragiewicz Family
Sponsors:
Mr. and Mrs. Walter Frye Jr.
Gary, Robert and Helen Elizabeth Levin
Lincoln Trust Co.
Mariner Newspapers
Marshfield Newcomers Club
Marshfield Rotary Club
Myles Standish Federal Credit Union
Plymouth Five Cent Saving Bank
Rockland Credit Union
In Memory of Susan L. Sack by her husband and son
Patrons:
Baybank Norfolk County Trust Co.
Allen and Judith Burchell
Tad, Druanne and Elizabeth N. Gagnon
Jack Heneghan
Richard and Eleanor Hoehn
Dr. and Mrs. Stephen J. Kane
George E. and Helen L.Keeler
Suzanne S. Klay
Levin and Liven, Attorneys at Law
James and Joan McArthur
Paul Joseph Maguire, Sr.
Jack and Peg Malley
C.H. Marsh Insurance Agency, Inc.
Barbara L. and William J. McKinnon
The Payton Family-E.F. and R.M. Payton
Helen L.  Peterson
Mr. and Mrs. Norman Platt and Family
Samson and Delilah Unisex Salon
David and Valerie Smith
Donald R. and Donna L. Smith
South Shore Auto Parts. Inc.
Mr. and Mrs. John H. Spurr
Lawrence E. Vienneau, DMD
Kevin J. and Paula J. Walsh

Marshfield Newcomers Club
This Plaque is a gift of Marshfield Newcomers Club whose vision and
benevolence aided in the Community effort to construct this new library in
1983
The Donors listed below are perpetuating this generosity.

The Ming Dynasty

MA Municipal Association
Packard Memorial Innovation Award
1983
In Memory of Susan L. Stack
Whose inspiration and vision served as a catalyst in marking this facility a 
realty

Main Post Office Building - 111 Snow Road
Unites States Postal Service
U.S. Mail
This building dedicated to service 1976
Gerald R. Ford
President of the United States
Benjamin F. Bailer
Postmaster General

Hours of Service
Window Service
Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM to 5 PM
Sat. 8:30 AM to 12 Noon
Sun. & Holidays - Closed

Box Lobby
Mon.-Fri. 6:30 AM to 6 PM
Sat. 6:30 AM to 3 PM
Sun. & Holidays - Closed
Note: Mail deposited after the last schedule dispatch time will be postmarked
the following day.


Robert F. Cheeseman
PO Box 27
Marshfield, MA 02050-4557
(781) 837-3709
smokeycheeseman@aol.com


Robert F. Cheeseman
PO Box 27
Marshfield, MA 02050-4557
(781) 837-3709
smokeycheeseman@aol.com

moking Gumshoe hits the trail for nothing but the fax.

Yes, the Shadow and Margo Lane are on the case. 

If confused, go to the Marshfield Forum @ www.marshfield.net
and get involved... C'Mon if you love your town...

Inputs to Smokeycheeseman@aol.com appreciated...



           a   http://www.radiocom.net  public service, even the papers read us!

 

Good night Petula, ..wherever you are...