Operation Highjump preceded Operation DeepFreeze in 1946.

Here thanks to OAE Noel Gillespie is some background history.

Comment was made in "Digest 212" re the PBM in 'Operation High Jump".
During my extensive research in the history of VX-6 and the US Navy's Antarctic operation for my two part story in "Air Enthusiast" I had extreme difficulty with any material/information  etc. re:  "High Jump" The only person I could locate in the US was Joshua German >Akaky103@aol.com< , his grandfather was the maintenance aviation officer, sailing south on the USS Philippine Sea [CVA-47], he contacted me, saying his grandfather's correspondence went via  Wingate NZ.
Part of Task Force  68, under the command of Admiral Richard Byrd and Rear Admiral Cruzen, the 4.000 men journeyed to the Antarctic in 1946.
Twenty-six aircraft were taken south.  I tried unsuccessfully to obtain all the BuNo's of these, but could only track down a few.
6 R4D's #17238 17197.12415 and 39092.
1 HNS-1 Hoverfly #33585.
2 HOS-1 Hoverflies.
4 HO3S-1 Dragonflies.
1 Noorduyn-Norseman     #57992.
2 Grumman J2F-6 Ducks, one was #39045
2 Stinson OY-1 Sentinels.
2 Martin PBM Mariners
and 2 Curtiss SOC Seagulls.
Trigger Hawkes launched the first R4D-5 #17238  successfully from the flight deck of the Philippine Sea, with Lt. Commander "Gus" Shinn flying the second R4D-5. The fleet once airborne homed in on the powerful Mt Olympus radio beacon and landed five hours later on a specially marked airstrip at Little American, just moments before a strong Antarctic storm blew up, closing the 'Airport" down.
With regards to the ill fated Martin PBM Mariner flying boat "Marine George One" which crashed into the Walker Mountains on December 30 1946, it disintegrated and burned on on impact. Captain Caldwell was thrown clear, but the aircraft's pilot Ralph Lebance sat unconscious in his burning cockpit with his clothing on fire. co-pilot Lt. Kearns, Radioman Jim Robbins and crew chief Bill Warr went back onto the flight deck and pulled him out. Wendell Henderson was killed instantly at the radio panel and ensign Max Lopex were found dead at the navigator's table. Flight Engineer Fred William was thrown clear but died two hours later.
The crew members who survived the crash commenced a long track back to the base- this is a great story in itself.
With the flying season completed, the command didn't  know what to do with the six R4D-5's, unable to land them back on the carrier. The oil was drained out along with the removal of classified instruments, they were tied down on the Ross Sea ice. The following year the USS Icebreakers "Edisto" and "Burton Island"  spotted the Goonies while visiting the Bay of Whales in early Feb 1948. Snow was cleared away from one of the Douglas aircraft and its engine started up, but no attempt was made to fly it.
It appeared that a gigantic section of the Ross Sea ice shelf had broken away, taking with  it two thirds of Little America IV, and the stored R4D-5's drifted away towards their watery grave at the bottom of the Ross Sea.
The outbreak of hostilities  in Korea cancelled the planned "Operation High Jump II".

Noel Gillespie

Christchurch, New Zealand

  Admiral Byrd dropping flag over South Pole.






   Helecopters from the North Wind.



Crashed PBM crew

    PBM George One

  U.S.S. Philipine Sea Stamp


  R4D-5 Jato Take Off

  Moored ships @ Operation High Jump

<bgsound src="antarctc.mid" loop=infinite>