updated 3-16-99 

From: Richard Andersen Date: Thursday, March 11, 1999 7:50 PM Dave, Just taking your challenge - wouldn't want to be accused of being lazy at the keyboard. You are doing a great job and I just want to help you out the best I can. Use what I send as you see fit. More to come. In regard to E-1 to O-5 - I was in 35 years. In that amount of time you ought to do something. I retired off the USS Wasp in 1994. Got to go to Somalia and Persian Gulf to close out my career. I enjoyed all my time in the Navy and it went sooooooooooooo fast. When you enjoy what you are doing good things inevitably happen. I am in seventh heaven here in Virginia. We have a place on the water and a couple of boats. I keep busy maintaining things and keeping the wood stove going. If you look at the map, we live on the Little Wicomico River which is just under the Potomac. I can be in the Chesapeake in under 15 minutes. VX-6 was a couple of great tours for me. I ended up at Christchurch again as the XO from 83-86. Did not go to the ice. I have found it is better to leave good memories alone - I therefore stayed away even though I could've gone. While at Chi Chi I did do some good for 6 in getting C-130 skis overhauled and ultimately the Hercs. Keep up the good work, Dick A..

Hey Folks, This is really great. My time in VX-6 and the people I worked with are high points of an already great life. When I joined the Navy in January 59, I went to boot at Great Lakes and "A" School in Memphis, where I came out an ATSAN (ATS was antisubmarine-no AX's then-I went ATS since everything was classified - no homework, more liberty). Out of Memphis, I was ordered to CIC School at Brunswick Georgia (NAS Glyco). I was pissed - I didn't join the Navy to go to Georgia! Every week I submitted a special request chit to go somewhere else - I was a real pain in the ass. Finally I hit pay dirt - got accepted to Operation Deep Freeze. I left Georgia one year to the day of arrival. Glynco was a training command and really chicken. We had an "admin" inspection just before I left. In preparation, we had personnel inspections about every week before the "real" inspection. Consequently, when I checked into 6 at Quonset, I was pretty. They had a personnel inspection just after my arrival and the Marine Captain that I checked in with (think his name was Lasecki or something like that) said I did not have to stand inspection since I was so sharp. I was already liking this outfit! Before I checked into 6 though, I had to undergo a screening at the Naval Station at Washington DC. As I recall, only about 20% of the folks who came to DC went on the Rhode Island. Those who didn't make the cut went back where they came from. We underwent extensive physical and mental exams. There were five shrinks of which one was a female. If you showed unusual sexual tendencies you got to go to the female that's how we saw it anyhow). They showed us ink spots and asked us what we equated them to. I saw one that was a dead ringer for female genitalia - not wanting to go to the female shrink, I said it was a rowboat in a small pond - it worked - no female shrink and on I went to Quonset. I wintered over. Gene Whitehead is on this list - we wintered together. I can't recall any fights or problems - all of VX-6 Det Alfa were class acts as were the folks who didn't winter. Working on a "Goon", pulling up the floorboard, colder than a well diggers ass, I can recall a shipmate saying, "Make some room so I can give you a hand." When I first got to 6, our Maintenance Chief was a guy names Mihalcik. My "Goon" was 99853. Some "Goons" were on the ice, so we had to share our "Goon" with those crews. 99853 was the premier "Goon" and we took offense to folks not respecting our status. Well, one day one of the other crews took 99853 for a spin and they griped my LORAN. The AT was a guy named Bannister. He said my APN-4 LORAN was inop. I checked it out and it was fine.I surmised that Bannister was not aware of the "ON-OFF" switch on the box under the Radioman's table. In those days the "yellow sheet" was just that - only one copy and you signed off the gripe on it. It was after-hours and I signed off the LORAN gripe as,"Turned on ON-OFF switch - checks ok -check next flight - Time: 10 milliseconds". Next morning the Maintenance Chief, Chief Mihalcik, summoned me to his presence and invited me to his office. He vigorously counseled me on the merits of not being "smart ass". In those days, vigorous literally meant he bounced me off the walls a fair bit. He continued his counseling for months thereafter. I worked all the aircraft we had -R5D, P2V or whatever. On many occasion I can recall being all by my lonesome on the back line working a gripe and all of a sudden the power would go out. I would vault out of the plane to see what's wrong and there would be my boss, AT1 Larry Sharp (he would shut off the NC-5 to get my attention) and he would say that Chief Mihalcik wished to see me. I would go to Maintenance and Chief Mihalcik would shove a coffee pot at me and say, "I need coffee boy." Now that's character-building leadership - he really liked me - tough love. Well, Dave Riley wanted some tales. This is a start. My heart goes out to you Captain Moe. A year to the day after I retired (seems like things happen to me a year to the day - don't they) I was on a cold table at Bethesda having a stent put in my right coronary artery that was 95% obstructed - too much cholesteral and cigarettes. An experience like that sharpens your appreciation of this life. It's all attitude though. As a "Puckered Penguin" you have the right attitude and I'm sure you are going to be just fine. Remember: It's nice on the ice but peachie in Chi Chi.

From: andersen To: RadioCom Subject: WILLY FIELD PISS BARRELS Date: Thursday, March 11, 1999 11:29 PM I lived at Willy Field for summer support 1965-68. In 65 I was on the first flight in to dig out the goons and get Willy Field going. It was a new Willy Field. When we arrived, we had to assemble our homes (jamesway). As a guy with previous experience, I was told I was needed to deploy first but would be compensated by going home early (I was told this every year - but when it was time to go home I was always needed and stayed until the last plane). A new guy was sent along with me - AT1 Kelley. We assembled our jamesway which became the home for the goon crews - believe it was hut number 7. One of the requirements for a hut on the "strip" was to have a piss barrel just outside the vestibule with a funnel and hose to channel the piss into the barrel outside. A year or two after assembling hut 7, we had an ATCS named Holladay who served as the LCPO on the strip. Senior Chief Holladay would make a daily round tapping on piss barrels to ensure they didn't need changing. Some of the troops even made him an "Aviation Green Piss Barrel Checker" out of a wood shaft with a vacuum tube cover affixed for his "tapping" pleasure. The Senior Chief often had to get on some huts to change their piss barrels. Our hut was the exception - we were good guys - our barrel always gave off the satisfying sound of a barrel empty, ready to serve its purpose of containing the piss of naval aviation's greatest air crewmen when tapped by his "Aviation Green Piss Barrel Checker". Senior Chief Holladay would use us as a good example that errant huts should emulate. It's amazing how long a piss barrel will go without a bottom! Now, if you ever hear of a yellow iceberg, you have an idea where it might have come from.

Regard, Dick A

( Looks like we have a LIVE one here, keep going Rich.... )

Subject: A RECOLLECTION FROM THE PAST - THE TOURNIQUET Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 8:24 PM The "Goon Crew" lived in Hut 7 at Willy Field during the years I lived there from 65-68. We were a very congenial lot who were somewhat unemployed. The LC-130 was taking our place. Some of our members even left us for the Herc Crews; e.g., "Dangerous "Dan Dompe and AD2 Bob Capling. Couldn't blame them - the Herc was the future - the Goon wasn't. Humorous events took place in Hut 7. A few I can recall were: One of our Mechs was Gravelly-Voiced AD1 Red Auxford. We celebrated all occasions - meaningful or not. Maybe we were celebrating November 19th - I know not what, but we were celebrating. Our celebrations usually were accompanied by beer, steaks and cards in our lounge adorned with a parachute canopy. Red, before retiring, took a stroll outside to get some air. He slipped and fell into a snow bank which elicited from him some "expletives deleted". He weathered this mishap okay and retired to his rack. During the night, we were awaked by groans only capable of Red Auxford. He was obviously in great pain. We got up to see what was his problem. He said his arm was just killing him. We readily determined the cause to be his watch, which had a Speidel band, and had slipped up his arm to his elbow and was acting as a tourniquet, cutting off the blood flow which caused him great pain. We had another Mech, who I won't name. I will only say his nickname had religious connotations. Our Flight Surgeon, Doc Holik, set a goal of circumcising all who had not received this purifying rite. I recall a "spoof" picture of the good Doctor with hedge clippers preparing to perform his rite. Well, our Mech got clipped. He was obviously in a fair bit of pain, but he just loved to read "Old English Novels" that aroused him, causing excruciating pain. His remedy for this situation was a Number 10 can of snow, placed next to his rack. When he got to a place in his novel that aroused him, he would reach into the can and take a hunk of snow and hold it to his "member" to discourage enlargement and deaden the pain. A typically resourceful Puckered Pete! VXE-6 is being replaced by the Air Force Reserve. There was discussion about the impracticability of this new arrangement recently. We used to look down on the Air Force folks who worked with us on the Ice because of their short stay and requirement to be home for the holidays. I remember an incident with an Air Force type. Before I joined the Navy, I played the trumpet. I worked myself through a Boy Scout Camp called Camp Cachalot in Massachusetts by playing my bugle. Additionally, I played taps at many funerals for veterans. For some reason, I had my bugle at Hut 7. One night, I saw this Air Force guy returning from a shower and decided to play colors and see what he would do. It was cold and he didn't have much on. I played colors and he dutifully came to attention with his douche kit at order arms and faced the colors at attention until the music ceased. The problem was, the flag stayed up and the music went on, and on and on until I finally felt sorry for the shivering Air Force puke and finished colors. He did not figure out that in the summer the sun does not go down on the Ice and the flag does not come down! Just a few recollections from Willy Field. 

Regards, Dick A